Grilled chicken, Hawaiian style is a unique and delicious way of barbecuing chicken. What sets it aside from other dishes is the unique marinating sauce, which consists of coconut milk, pineapple juice, and honey. As a result of this dish being Hawaiian, pineapple is associated with it. As you know, pineapple is good with just about any type of meat. You can use either fresh pineapple chunks or pineapple chunks from the can in this recipe. Personally, however, we suggest fresh pineapple chunks as they bring a crisp, fresh taste to the dish. Make sure you slice the pineapple chunks into fairly large pieces so that will not break when you’re placing the skewer through them.
The marinating process should be no longer than three hours because there’s a possibility of the coconut milk breaking down the fiber of the chicken. Three hours of marinating is the perfect time, but you get away with a little less if you’re in a hurry.
Feel free to add other ingredients commonly associated with shish kebabs such as bell peppers, tomatoes, or onions. Use the dipping sauce of your choice. It can be soy sauce with lime, chili sauce, or your favorite barbecue sauce. If you want to feel the atmosphere being in Hawaii, serve our grilled chicken Hawaiian style up today. It is great for picnics or any outdoor occasion.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 thumb size ginger, minced
- 15 ounces of pineapple chunks (or one fresh pineapple, sliced)
- bamboo skewers
- Servings: 4
- Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American, Hawaiian
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Slice the chicken into cubes. Set it aside. In a mixing bowl, add in all of the marinating ingredients with the exception of the skewers.
- Stir everything until the chicken is coated well. Place plastic wrap over the top, and allow it to sit in the fridge for 3 hours.
- While the chicken is marinating, place the skewers into a container of warm water and allow them to soak. This will prevent them from burning while on the barbecue.
- After marinating, remove the plastic wrap and drain the chicken well. Take a skewer and place it through the center of one of the chicken cubes. Next, take a chunk of pineapple and gently insert the skewer through it. Repeat this until you reach the end of the skewer. Continue this process for the remaining chicken and pineapple.
- Place them on a preheated grill over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side, or until your desired doneness is achieved.
- Serve your grilled chicken, Hawaiian style over hot rice. Garnished it with spring some onions. Enjoy!