Potato croquettes are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. You can also make them from scratch. We have a great recipe for mashed potatoes in our perogies recipe. When I make them, I make a big batch up and freeze them. They are great served up with bacon and eggs on the weekends.
This recipe is fairly versatile. I season the flour with only paprika, salt, and pepper, because I use a lot of seasoning in my mashed potatoes. You can use whatever spices you wish, however. For example, you could add garlic, basil, onion powder, etc. I find they fry up perfectly over medium heat rotating them 3 times. You want them to fry for about a minute on each turn. Keep an eye on them, as they brown up fairly fast. We use fine bread crumbs because they seem to cover the potatoes better. You could use Panko if you wish. Olive oil seems to work best for frying the croquettes, but you can also use vegetable oil.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of milk
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- left over potatoes or 2 large mashed potatoes
- Yield: 7
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Intermediate
- Cuisine: British
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Method:[/btn]
- Scoop up about 2 tbsp of potatoes into the palm of your hand, form them into a ball, and flatten them out in a circular shape with your fingers. Add a good pinch of the cheese in the center, fold the edges of the potatoes over the cheese, and roll them into a cylinder. Set them aside on a plate and repeat this for the remaining potatoes.
- Place the flour into a bowl and add in the paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is well combined. Crack the egg into another bowl, add in the milk, and beat it. Add the bread crumbs to a third bowl.
- Dredge the potato croquettes into the flour. Switch hands and coat them with the egg mixture. Switch hands once again and coat them with the bread crumbs. Set them aside on a plate once again.
- Add a generous amount of oil to a pan. Place the croquettes in, in batch of about 3 or 4, and fry them over medium heat. Turn them three times allowing them to cook for about 1 minute per turn or until they are a nice golden brown.
- Serve your potato croquettes up with your favorite condiment.