Scalloped potatoes are fast and easy. There are many ways to make them, but I find this method one of the simplest. The sauce is homemade and resembles a roux. I simply add garlic, salt, pepper, and basil to it. If you like other spices, by all means add them.
Any type of potatoes can be used in this recipe as long as they are fresh; although, some claim russet and Yukon gold are the best. The same holds true for the onions. I just use standard yellow onions, but you can use your favorite onions. Make sure you slice the potatoes abut 1/8 of an inch think. If you slice them too thick, they will not cook in the required time. Again, the same hold true for the onions.
I use sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe. You can use your favorite cheddar, if you wish. The recipe calls for broiling the dish for 10 minutes. You can leave it a little longer if you like the scalloped potatoes browner. Just be sure to keep an eye on them as they will literally change color as you watch them.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1/4 (1/2 stick) cup of butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of basil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 tsp of pepper
- 2-1/2 cups of milk
- 6 potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- Servings: 4-5
- Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Place them in a bowl of cold water.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add in the garlic and saute it, over medium heat, until it’s fragrant. This will take about a minute. Add in the flour and continuously stir, over medium low heat, until the flour dissolves. This should take about 30 seconds. Add in half the milk and continue to stir until it begins to thicken. Add in the other half of the milk and stir until it begins to thicken again. Turn off the heat and pour the contents into a measuring cup.
- Add a layer of the sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish. Place a layer of potatoes over the top followed by a layer of onions and a layer of cheese. Add another layer of sauce over the top followed by another layer of potatoes, onions, and cheese. Repeat this process until you have three or four layers depending on the depth of your casserole dish. Grate one more generous layer of cheese over the top.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil. Place it in a preheated 350° oven for one hour. After an hour, set the oven to broil and allow scallop potatoes to Brown for 10 min.
- Remove the scallop potatoes from the oven and serve.