Spiced roasted chicken is one of many roasted chicken recipes. This dish is full of spices such as thyme, paprika, cayenne, and more. Thus result is flavorful, juicy, and tasty bird. There are many ways of roasting chicken. It can be as traditional and simple as seasoning it with salt and pepper. Many people add stuffing, as well. It does not need to be stuffing made with breadcrumbs, however. The stuffing in this recipe is made from fresh lemon wedges, onions, and rosemary sprigs. The seasoning is adjustable depending on your taste. If you want some extra kick or spice to the chicken, you can add more cayenne pepper. On the other hand, if you don’t prefer it hot, simply cut back on the spicy ingredients. You can also add any herbs of your choice such as, oregano, sage, or chili powder. Of course, roasting is not perfect without vegetables. In this recipe, we add potatoes to the baking dish. We planned to add sweet potatoes, but we ran out. In light of this, we substituted common potatoes. If you have sweet potatoes, by all means go ahead and add them.
Usually, we roast a chicken in an oven set at 375 degrees, and we never change our temperature. Our cooking time is always 1 hour and 30 minutes, as well. Surprisingly, the bird always comes out perfect. This, of course, is for a bird a little over a kilogram. For bigger chickens, you will have to adjust the time accordingly. It’s always juicy and tender. This can be applied to roasting any part of the chicken, too. The breast and the thighs, however, cook faster – in about an hour. I know you want to make this spiced roasted chicken today. There is certainly no need to wait for Thanksgiving or any other special occasion. Inspire your friends and family and enjoy a wonderful weekend treat.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 fresh lemon sliced in half
- 1 small onion, sliced in half
- 2 medium potatoes cut in cubes
- 1 rosemary sprigs
- olive oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Wash and pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine paprika, cayenne, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. (Adjust seasoning according to taste).
- Place chicken on a platter and drizzle olive oil on the surface. Sprinkle with the rub mixture and massage until chicken is fully coated.
- Stuff the chicken with sliced lemon, rosemary sprigs, and sliced onions. Tuck the wings back and tie up both legs with cooking string.
- Place the potatoes in your preferred baking dish or pan. Season it with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Stir until well combined.
- Move the potatoes to the side of the baking dish and place the chicken into the center breast side up.
- Place it in a preheated oven set at 190 degrees C for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes (basting the chicken with the drifting sauces after an hour).
- When chicken is cooked, remove it from oven and allow to sit for at least 15-20 minutes. Carve, serve and enjoy!