Easy kimchi is simple, fast, and delightful. I lived in South Korea for 5 years and have been really craving it. Finally, I’ve found a way to recreate it with little difficulty. It’s by no means authentic, but it comes close. Give our Kimchi a try, and let us know what you think.
There are probably dozens of variations to Kimchi. As with any recipe, you can alter the ingredients according to your liking. I usually make this when I’m in a hurry, so I only let the cabbage soak for 15 or 20 minutes. If you have a bit of time on your hands, by all means, let it soak a bit longer. If you can get your hands on some chilli paste, that’s even better. I find, at least in North America, it’s fairly hard to come by. That’s why I use the the chilli garlic paste. It seems to work just fine, and it’s very affordable. If you want more garlic or onions, you can certainly add them. The sugar is not essential, but I find it balances out the salty flavor of the garlic chilli paste. The dish can be eaten right away, but it’s always better if you let it ferment for a few days.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Video:[/btn]
- 1 head of Napa or Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 5 green onions sliced into 3 inch strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of salt dissolved into 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 4 tbsp of chilli garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Put the smaller pieces into a mixing bowl and chop up the larger leaves into bit size chunks.
- Mix the water and salt. Pour it over the cabbage and toss several times using your hands.
- Allow the cabbage to soak for about 15 or 20 minutes then toss it once more and leave it sit for another 15 or 20 minutes.
- Put the cabbage into a colander and rinse it thoroughly. Shake and allow to drain for about 5- 10 minutes.
- Place it back into the bowl. Add in the onions, garlic, sugar, chilli garlic sauce, and sesame seeds. Using your hands, mix it until everything is well combined.
- Place the kimchi into a container, seal it with a lid, and allow it to sit for a couple of days. If you like, you can eat it immediately.
- Enjoy your easy kimchi.