Pan seared steak makes an elegant dinner. It can be made with a rib eye or a New York strip steak. The important thing to remember is to get a good cut of meat. It can be a little more expensive than a round or rib steak, but the outcome will be delicious and superb. You will experience the “melt in your mouth” sensation. Ask a good butcher to make sure you get the right cut of meat. However, a regular round or rib steak will do in a pinch. Of course, expect it to be a little bit tough or rubbery, but it will suffice.
The steak can be grilled or pan seared. Remember not to over sear the steak. It is equally important to flip the steak only once. Personally, I prefer a medium rare steak which has juices coming from it. It really depends on your preferences, just read the cooking times below in step 4 of the method. Pan seared steak is perfect served with mashed potatoes and salad. Try this out and make your ordinary dinner turn into a special.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 2 steaks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 tbsp fresh or dried rosemary, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- Servings: 2
- Time: 30 minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Allow the steaks to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Place steaks on a flat surface and drizzle some olive oil on top and brush them evenly. Rub the meat with rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Repeat this procedure on to the other side of the steaks.
- Heat a pan over high heat until you see the appearance of faint smoke. Make sure the pan is really hot. Add a little bit of oil.
- Place the steaks in one at a time and sear over medium high heat for 3 to 3 1/2 min. for rare; 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 min. for medium; 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 min. for well done. Repeat this process on the other side. Do not over crowd the pan.
- One minute before the steaks are finished cooking, add the butter in. While it’s melting, spoon it over the steaks until the cooking time is finished.
- Remove the steaks using tongs and place on a platter. Allow them to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Steaks are perfect with mashed potatoes, salad or any favorite side dish. Enjoy!