Slim Ham and cheese quesadilla is one of many quesadilla variations. It is made with flour tortillas and fillings such as cheese, vegetables, and meat. This dish originated in Mexico and has became a popular dish in many Spanish kitchens. The name itself is derived from “quezo” which is means “cheese”. Other variations of it are, chicken, apple, beef, you name it.
I went to a coffee shop close to our place and ordered this tasty snack. It became one of my favorites. Actually, I became addicted to it. I was curious and checked the filling inside. Guess what? I said to myself, ” hmmm – it is easy to make, and I just need simple ingredients.”
The Fillings are completely optional, as some people use cheddar cheese, colby, or monterey jack. In this recipe, we use veggie cheese slices to make it a little healthier. You can also use your favorite condiments such as salsa, tomato, or pizza sauce. You can, likewise, add some chicken, beef, or cooked apple to it. I know you will enjoy this, especially with your kids.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 2 flour tortillas 9 inch
- 2 ham sliced (smoked or any kind of ham)
- 4 veggie cheese sliced (or any kind of cheese)
- 2-3 tbsp pizza sauce or tomato sauce
- cooking spray or vegetable oil
- Servings: 2
- Time: 20 minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: Mexican
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Place flour tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spread a generous amount of pizza sauce on the bottom half of the tortilla.
- Lay on slices of ham (any kind of ham will do) and slices of veggie cheese. You can use any type of cheese you prefer. Fold the tortilla in half.
- Preheat a nonstick pan and spray with cooking spray. You can also brush the surface with vegetable oil if cooking spray in not available.
- Place the quessadillas in a pan, and allow it to cook over medium heat for at least 1 1/2 minute on each side.
- Remove quessadillas and transfer to a serving plate. Slice into serving pieces using a pizza cutter or knife.
- Serve and enjoy!