Slow cooker roast beef is easy and delicious. The rub is really what makes the roast so good. Just about any cut of beef can be used. I find that an eye round roast works really well. Of course, the leaner the healthier. The searing of the meat is an important process as it seals the spices in. I sear it just to the point where it’s nicely browned. This will take about 4 minutes on all sides, over medium high heat, depending on the size and shape of the roast. After searing it, I deglaze the pan with a 4 or 5 tablespoons of water. You can use a good red wine, as well. Then, pour the juice into the slow cooker. This stops the meat from drying out and allows it to cook in its own juices.
When the meat is cooked over low heat for about six hours, it’s tender and moist. It literally melts in your mouth. It can also be cooked on high for about 4 hours. You will compromise some tenderness, however. Whatever you do, don’t discard the juice from the roast as it makes a delicious gravy. Serve your slow cooker roast beef up with some creamy mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetables.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
- 2 – 3 lb choice eye round roast of beef
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 – 3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp of corn starch dissolved in 1 tbsp of water
- Servings: 4
- Time: 6 hours
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- Place the olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, and dijon mustard into a bowl. Mix until they are well combined. Using your hands rub on all sides of the roast.
- Add some olive oil into a preheated pan. Place the roast in and sear it over medium high heat for 3 – 4 minutes on all sides. Remove the roast and set it aside in the slow cooker liner.
- Pour about 4 – 5 tbsp of water into the pan in the pan, and deglaze it over medium heat. Pour the contents of the pan over the roast in the slow cooker liner. Set it aside in the fridge over night. Alternatively, you can place it into the slow cooker immediately.
- Place the liner in the slow cooker, turn the heat on low, and allow it to cook for 6 – 7 hours on low. If you are in a hurry, you can cook it on high for 4 – 5 hours.
- Remove the roast and set it aside to rest. In the mean time, pour the remaining juice from the slow cooker into a pan. Bring it to a boil. Add in the diluted corn starch while stirring constantly until it it thickens.
- Slice the roast, place it on a plate, pour the gravy over the top. Serve you slow cooker roast beef up with some mashed potatoes and the vegetable of your choice.