Slow cooker post roast is easy and delicious. The thing I like about slow cooker recipes is the simplicity. I usually prepare everything the night before, slip the lid on, and put the liner in the fridge overnight. Before I go to work in the morning, I put the liner in the slow cooker, turn it on low, and head out the door. When I get home that evening, there is a wonderful aroma that fills the air and dinner is ready.
You can use just about any cut of pork in this recipe. In most cases, I stop by my butcher and tell him what I”m doing, and he usually gives me the best roast for the application. You can generally use shoulders, shanks, round, and rumps for most slow cooker recipes. There is no need to go premium. If the meat is not labelled, you can usually tell as it will be less expensive. I tend to trim any large amounts of fat off, as well.
You can play with the rub ingredients, a little. I find this makes a really nice mixture as is. Some people may prefer a little more salt. If you want the meat a little drier, you can reduce the water to 1 cup.
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Ingredients:[/btn]
For the Rub:
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1 tsp of sage
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
For the Slow Cooker:
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 3 lb roast of pork, any cut
- 4 – 5 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1/2 bag of baby carrots
- Servings: 5
- Time: 8 hours
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Cooking Video:[/btn]
[btn color=”orange” target=””]Directions:[/btn]
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the thyme, sage, rosemary, garlic, pepper, and salt with the olive oil. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Trim any excess fat off the pork. Using your hands, message the rub onto all sides of the meat.
- Place it in a crock pot. Add in the potatoes, onions, carrots, and water. Cover and place the liner in the fridge over night. Alternatively, you can place it in the crock pot immediately and begin the cooking process.
- Place the liner back into the crock pot. Place the lid back on, and allow it to cook over low heat for 8 hours.
- Carefully remove the roast, place it on a plate, and use a fork to shred the meat. It should literally fall apart.
- Serve and enjoy your slow cooker pot roast.